Wednesday

Linking Blogs

I was inspired today, while talking to a retired telecommunications marketer at my favorite kitschy-retro coffeeshop, to produce webcomics based on these wacky conversations I've been having with the locals in my new environs . . . some of the stories are just too crazy to be made up. So, I will be considering linking a NEW BLOG purely about these first-hand testimonials to this main page soon enough.

Also, I was reminded today that I had originally wanted to start up my own Cartoonists Conspiracy collective here for the Central Valley. My friend, Brian Kolm, has a great blog for the Cartoonists Conspiracy of San Francisco (CCSF) on WordPress; I used to go and do publishing jams with them every Thursday at the Lower Castro coffeeshop across the street from Trina Robbins (Barbie, Go!Girl) and her husband, an inker for MARVEL COMICS. Of course, that was a million years ago, when I still lived in San Francisco -- before my newsmagazine went kaput. Well, actually . . . it was just a little short of a year ago.

Anyhoo . . . yep: those are the two ideas I have going from this morning's coffee-fueled chit-chat.
Back to the studio: I have only a few days left to finish my pieces before the big unveiling on JUNE 3rd.
There shall be free refreshments and snacks -- I'm thinking Russian wedding cookies, chocolate-covered strawberries, cream-filled eclairs, and white wine sangria since my pieces will be certainly candy-colored.

HOWEVER, I must quote Cindy Sherman here:
"I like making images that from a distance seem kind of seductive, colorful, luscious and engaging, and then you realize what you’re looking at is something totally opposite. It seems boring to me to pursue the typical idea of beauty, because that is the easiest and the most obvious way to see the world. It’s more challenging to look at the other side."

No comments:

Post a Comment